Monday, June 27, 2016

First Day of Classes Galore

The day started out with me waking up at around 7:30 getting ready for the first day of classes. I was excited but a bit nervous on what was to come however I saw the homework load the day before and it made me a little bit more scared on what to expect. By the time I had gotten ready I didn't really end up having much time to grab a lot for breakfast so I picked up two muffins and some water and started rushing to class. I had to put my class into google maps however I ended up getting lost along the way because the way to my class was blocked off due to construction so I had to take a detour. I got lost again when I got to the building (I found out that they apparently wrote the wrong side of the building for my class) luckily there were people who knew the way to help me out.

The first day of my class was more of a tutorial. The first hour went by with the first week professor telling us about plagiarism and why we shouldn't do it and the consequences if we do and things pertaining to that. We also received the details on how our class would go over the next few weeks with four weekly essays making up the bulk of our grade (80%) and class participation and a final group project making up the rest. My main professor also introduced us to the general idea of policy making and showed us multiple examples of why it's never easy to agree on passing a law. She ended off the first half of the class by taking our headshot and telling us that she does it so that if we ever become president of the United States someday she would have evidence for being the reason why.

We then headed to the library so the TA could teach us how to use the database system. It was a bit complicated to watch at first but since I'm used to Contra Costa College's database system and the amount of lectures I received on it then I'm pretty sure it should be straight forward. After the library tutorial, we received homework questions to answer based on it.

At the end of the tutorial I met up with my group for the final project where we had to analyze a problem and create a thirty minute presentation on it along with a bill to address the problem. Our problem deals with the influx of drug overdose that is happening in North Dakota at an over 125% up rise in drug overdose related deaths in the state. It's the highest up rise in the country so it was a good problem to analyze.

After class I started to head back to my dorm. I had a ton of homework assigned and it was pretty much what I did for the rest of the day. I was super surprised by it but also kinda bummed out because I wasn't able to attend to Target and eating out with Mike and the rest of my cohort. I guess it's just another day in the life of a college student.

Gonna get back to my homework and rest. I'm curious to see how the second day of classes go!

No comments:

Post a Comment