Monday, July 11, 2016

How to Get Into Cornell

I believe this is the second time I have falsely named my blog post. Today I went to office hours to receive some help on my affirmative constructive. I felt very confident with it, but making environmental beauty my highest value makes it difficult to find evidence. Regardless, I'm not changing my highest value, I'll just work a little harder. We spent a lot of class time asking questions about the assignment, because most of us are taking different spins on the resolution. 

At 2:30 PM there was an Admissions presentation, so the time we did have left after questions was the procedure options for the negative constructive. It's not as bad of an assignment because the purpose of it is to refute the points in our affirmative. There are 3 ways to write a negative constructive. You can find 8 pieces of evidence that contradict the affirmative evidence, you can find 3 pieces of evidence that show it has a negative impact, or you can find 2 pieces of evidence that show that the plan is morally incorrect. I've already found some articles that contradict my evidence, but I know it's going to be more complicated when I actually try to put it together.

Picture of the presentation at Uris Hall
The reason I named this post "How to Get Into Cornell" is because 2 people, whose names I don't want to get wrong so I won't even try, from Cornell's Admissions Office gave us a presentation on the application process. They gave us the usual "holistic admissions" explanation. That means that every single part of the application is equally as important as all the others. They don't judge you on one sole thing. After they explained what parts of the application we're responsible for, personal statement, essay, test scores, they showed us two real Cornell applications. We went through and saw what the different students had to offer. The biggest thing they looked for was if they would "fit" into the school, and if they believed they could handle it. One of the boys clearly went to a far more privileged school, where he had better opportunities, as opposed to the other boy who went to a smaller rural school. They didn't tell us, who they would've chosen. I felt as if the point was to show that even straight-A students get rejected, and they don't compare students that come from completely different places. They want diversity at their school.

When the presentation ended, I went to Olin library with Hans and Amelia to finish up our 1ACs. The 1AC is predominantly researching, but it's time-consuming trying to find evidence that says exactly what you want it to say. We were there for about 2 hours until we went to get dinner. After dinner, Paula and I tried to study some more. We ended our night with the usual hang out at Donlon. I think everyone's favorite hall is Donlon. It's always so sad when they're ordering food at 10 PM and we know we won't be there when it arrives. 

1 comment:

  1. When you figure out the secret to getting into college--let me know. We can make a fortune sharing that secret.

    ReplyDelete